Sunday, August 14, 2016

Thomas Edison and Henry Ford's Winter Estates

I have been busy visiting with friends and family and heading to Orlando to cuddle my 2 month old niece so I have not been able to do as much exploring in the area for the last 2 months.  Today I had some free time and despite it being a cloudy, slightly drizzly day, I thought it would be a good time to visit another place on my list, the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford Winter Estates.  Thomas Edison basically put Ft. Myers on the map.  It turned out it was a great day to go.  I got there early before the heat of the day since it is August which is probably the most miserable month in Florida and having the cloud cover was a definite blessing.  It was nice getting there early before the crowds started too.  It was much busier by the time I left and I like being able to walk around and take pictures without feeling like I am constantly in someone's way or waiting for someone to move so I can take the picture that I want.

 The largest Banyan tree in the continental United States
Thomas Edison greeting me on my arrival

There are different tours you can sign up for and I decided to spend the extra $5 for the guided tour which I think was money well spent.  I do not do as well with just an audio tour, I get distracted too easily, and I like having someone there to emphasize little interesting facts and who you can ask questions.

The most amazing thing that I learned today was Thomas Edison received only 3 months of formal education.  3 months!!  As someone who went to school for 20 years from Kindergarten to Graduate School, I find that absolutely incredible!  There is no question that he impacted every one of our lives. His passion for inventing things led to over 1,000 patents!

The properties themselves are beautiful.  Thomas Edison arrived first and built his home then after becoming friends with Henry Ford and having bonded over a mutual desire to find local sources of rubber, Henry Ford later bought the home next door to Mr. Edison.  The homes both have big porches surrounding the houses that overlook the Caloosahatchee and I can just imagine sitting out there and enjoying the view and the breeze that comes off the water.  The grounds are covered in different flowers, palm trees and Banyan trees including the largest Banyan tree in the continental United States that takes up 3/4 of an acre and was planted in the early 1900s when Thomas Edison was still alive.

 Thomas Edison's Dining Room
 Thomas Edison's Winter Estate
Midnight Gardens

If you are in the Ft. Myers area, the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford Estates are really worth the visit, especially if you enjoy history but even if you don't, the location is unbeatable and the homes and grounds are beautiful to walk around and explore.

 Statue of Henry Ford
 Henry Ford's living room
Henry Ford's Winter Estate
 Beautiful tree on Henry Ford's property
Loved the incredible roots of the tree


My favorite quote I saw today that I am sure I have heard before but I think really runs true was from Henry Ford- "Whether you think you can or you think you can't- you're right."

No comments:

Post a Comment