Sunday, October 28, 2018

Stowe, Vermont

When I first decided to work in New England for the summer I was really hopeful that they would need me to extend through the fall so I could get the chance to see the fall leaves change colors.  Growing up in Florida, it is not exactly something that I got to witness and while I have traveled to places to see all the beautiful color spotted trees, I have never seen the process of the trees changing colors.  Of course, after making the decision to come up here and hope to see the leaves showing off before winter I had an amazing opportunity arise to go to Iceland in the beginning of October (more about that to come in another post) which was also suppose to be prime leaf peeping season.  So I booked a weekend up in Stowe, Vermont for the last weekend in September with hopes of see radiant reds and yellows before the leaves abandoned their trees for the winter.


I left early Saturday morning and resisted the urge to stop at Dunkin Donuts on my way out of town which seems to have become my road trip ritual but knew I would be indulging in the fall delights along the way including my first stop just outside of Stowe at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill for apple cider donuts and hot apple cider.  The second my car door swung open the heavenly scent of cider donuts filled the air and the crisp fall air felt brisk and comfortable.  I poked around the shop for a bit  but didn't find anything that I could live without before taking my spot in line to pick out my donuts and cider.  The Cold Hollow Cider Mill has tables with swings attached outside and I was able to enjoy my donuts while swinging like a kid.  Great start to the weekend!


I made my way into Stowe and drove around for a bit to get my bearings before stopping for lunch at the Blue Donkey for a burger and sat myself outside to enjoy the view.  From there I traveled to Moss Glen Falls and after a short hike I could here the thundering of the falls before I could see it.  Cascading down the hill in tiers instead of a straight fall it was worth the short hike to get there.  Once the some of the crowds left the area it was quite peaceful to listen to the water falling.



My next stop for the day before checking into my hotel was to try to find a covered bridge.  Emily's Bridge was one that was listed and you could still drive through it if you wanted to although I didn't.  One of my favorite movies is an old Chevy Chase movie from the '80s called Funny Farm and I always quote the line "That's not a bridge, that's termites holding hands!" whenever I see an old wooden covered bridge.  This one was in good shape though and was fun to walk through and around.  I later did more research and learned it is called Emily's Bridge because it is supposedly haunted by a little girl named Emily.  Kind of happy that I read that AFTER I walked around and explored the bridge.


I stopped at a brewery for dinner and bellied up to the bar to test out the beer as well.  I ordered the truffled mac and cheese for dinner and when the bartender asked if I wanted bacon on that... Ummm, do bears have ears?  Yes.  Bacon makes everything better.  I got to watch part of the Gator game and then a couple from Britain ended up sitting next to me.  They had been to the U.S. 8x and were traveling around New England for 2 weeks and we had a great time laughing and comparing cultural differences.  My Gators won and it was a fun night!

Sunday morning, I had to die for Kentucky Bourbon Caramel Crepes at the cafĂ© at the hotel (have you noticed a food theme yet??) to fuel me up for the day.  I drove up to the Trapp Family Lodge (yes, those Trapps) where the theme driving in is "A little bit Austria, a lot Vermont."  I had no idea when I planned the trip that the Trapp family of The Sound of Music fame had settled in the area when they had to leave Europe.  The story goes that they chose the area because it reminded them of Austria and they frequently had guests from making friends around the world while performing.  Eventually they opened the lodge to the public and there are all kinds of activities you can do on the property.  It was really worth the stop even though I only looked around and looked at the pictures hanging in the lodge.




From the lodge I decided to drive over to take the gondola to the top of the mountain and have lunch at the restaurant up there.  There are lots of trails that I could have hiked on and even a zipline on the top of the mountain but my quick weekend away did not allow much time for that.  The view of the valley below with pops of red and yellow from the trees changing colors made for a great companion view to a delicious lunch.








My last stop on the way out of town was the Ben and Jerry's Factory.  I couldn't go all that way without at least a quick stop.  I decided to take the tour with an entertaining video of how it all got started and then getting to peek into the factory itself.  Our guide was entertaining and explained a lot about the ice cream making process.  Of course, the highlight was the free sample at the end!

The drive back home was beautiful winding along the highway.  The were so many times that I said wow to myself especially when the light hit the leaves just right.  I really wish I could have stopped to take a picture but instead I get to carry the mental picture with me instead.

1 comment:

  1. New England in the fall is one of my special memories also. It has a magic all its own. I'm glad you are having such a wonderful time with your travels.

    ReplyDelete