Sunday, December 13, 2015

Osborne Family Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios

My brother, his fiance and I decided to buy Florida residents passes to Disney back in October when we went to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival.  We thought it would be fun to go to the Osborne Family Light show since it is going to be the last year that the show would be put on and I had never seen it before.  At the time we didn't know I would be living quite so far away, so last weekend I made the trek back up to Orlando to see my family and the lights.  Hollywood Studios is definitely my least favorite of the Disney theme parks.  It's very heavy on Star Wars and that is just not really my thing.  I did really enjoy the exhibit on Walt Disney, his life and how the Disney empire became what it is today just from one man with a dream.  Did you know that Mickey was originally named Mortimer??  Mr. Disney's wife thought it sounded too stuck up and suggested Mickey instead.  Smart woman.  Originally there were plans to build a park in St. Louis as well.  I wonder how that would have changed things.  I think it is sad that Walt did not live long enough to see his dream of Disney World completed.

The big reason we went to the park was to see the Osborne Family Lights Spectacle and it did not disappoint!  It is truly magical to walk through sooo many twinkling lights and looking around trying to take it all in.  Watching the faces of people around you and the children getting excited to see the lights was amazing.  Then, all the lights dim, the music starts, and the light show begins!  A dazzling display of lights turning on and off and dancing to the Christmas music playing over the loud speaker.  Incredible.


The concept was originally from the Osborne Family who lived in Arkansas and this was their actually light display that they put up every year!




Hopefully Disney decides to bring this back some day because as corny as it sounds, it really is magical and put me right into the Christmas spirit.  Happy I could share this with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment